Thursday, January 28, 2010

Living the good life (a look at Eph 2:9)

"For we are God's own handiwork (his workmanship)"

I heard this verse on Sunday morning in church, and since then it has haunted me (in a good way).
It is an amazing few verses when you think about it. We are the Creator of the universes' artwork - his masterpiece. He first dreamed and imagined you and me, and then made us to exact specifications.

Amazing.

Think of how precious any piece of artwork is that you created yourself, especially from scratch. It is hard to place a value on something you invested your heart and soul into.

We each are His precious pieces of art.

"recreated in Christ Jesus (born anew) that we may do good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us"

There is so much inside each one of us - all different gifts and talents that germinate and come alive when Christ infuses our soul. The fact that God has planned our good works is slightly mind blowing.

I mean, if I choose to walk right instead of left did He already know that? But God does not live in our restrictive time frame. He is the 'First and the Last - the Before all and the End of all' (Rev 22:13)

I have found once I seek His will and true relationship with God, things begin to fall into place and 'good work' opportunities arrive on my doorstep. I just need to push open the door. I used to stress SO MUCH about being in His will and doing what I should be doing - really a complete waste of energy when just loving Him is much more enjoyable.

"taking paths which He prepared ahead of time"

I can't count how many times I have set upon a path I thought was right, to then have a screeching red light flash before my eyes.

Another door wedged shut. And a knowing that if you push on this door hard enough, it will open - but you will end up lost.

Or another detour that leads back to where you originally began.

Back to square one.

God is really good at helping us get back on the right path - even if it includes rocky terrain and scary heights. If they are leading to eternity then it is a worthwhile journey.

"that we should walk in them (living the GOOD LIFE which He prearranged and made ready for us to live)"

Anyone I know who has walked away from a life following Christ has not been 'living the good life'. In fact they end up completely miserable on the inside. Once you know the truth it is really difficult to re-brainwash yourself into thinking there is no Creator of your life and the bible is a magnificent fable.

Secrets of the good life begin with knowing Him, seeking His kingdom and His ways. This will bring us back to the paths of life - our own paths - with an abundance of beautiful treasures, breathtaking views and kind-hearted travellers ahead making our journey rich and full in every way.

So, are you 'living the good life'? I hope this verse follows you around for a few days, as it did for me.

In a good way of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment