Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Simple Life


"Keep it simple, stupid!"

That's a well known saying from somewhere that has stuck with me lately....maybe not as blunt as that, but I have definitely been feeling the compelling need to simplify.

My life has been so constant that the colour seems to have faded to a dull ... grey! There have been so many warning signs, and I have acknowledged them, only to put it down on my 'do to' list to reassess my life at a later date. However I have recently planted my foot on the brakes of life and had a good, healthy review.

The 'finds' have been interesting, sobering...and not surprising. This merry-go-round of busy, busy, busy has its negatives, and there comes a time when you realize it's not getting you from A to B that quickly. It's taking you back to where you started.

The scenery looks good, but it's always the same.

It's no-one else's fault but mine if I lack the power (guts) to say no. If I can't control my boundary lines than I can't blame it on my husband, kids, family, friends or colleagues. I am the one in charge of what I do and don't do, and need to regularly re-assess what is going on at the fence line.

People pleasing is not the most ideal trait if it becomes extreme. Its awesome to be kind and want to do the best for people, but not at the expense of your family and your loved ones...and your sanity.

If you have to maintain a relationship by pleasing a certain someone and saying and doing all the right things to keep it all under control - then its just not worth it. It's too exhausting, time consuming and insanely unhealthy.

Pleasing God is good. Doing what is right and noble is good, as long as it's with right motives and a pure heart... sounds simple enough. Often so hard to get the balance right though.


It happens so much - I say yes to a good idea before thinking it through - ignoring that flashing red light in my gut. Confrontation isn't fun, neither is disagreeing when it's going to make you look like the party pooper. But isn't that better than being fake, unauthentic and undisciplined?

In my contemplation of the simple (good) life....I am slowly learning that what counts is like a flashing green light right before you.

Who are the people who love you most? Who do you love the most?
Do you set time aside each day to spend some time in the Word?
What is your primary income source?
What was the last thing God told you to do?
What are your dreams & desires?
Are you feeling exhausted most days?
How often to you go for walks, take photos, laugh?

I used to run everywhere....literally. Everything seemed urgent. I ran late for appointments, regularly forgot where I put my 'to do' lists, keys, sunglasses.....brain....
And then I would crash and burn and wonder why...

In getting 'off the ride' and having a good shot at simplicity, I have been re-learning a few things about myself....

I have re-discovered that I love to sing, and I love watching sunsets.

I love white chocolate ice cream. :)


These days life is still full, but I am grabbing the moments a lot more, and no longer feel guilty spending quality time with someone special, or a complete stranger.

You just can't put a price tag on a conversation with someone.


I also have become a lot more organised. Considering my home is often filled with eight or more people I have no choice. It's either write extensive lists or be buried alive under mountains of laundry, post it notes and a billion toys (which I'm certain multiply by themselves!)
I have discovered many quite simple ways to keep on top of my life and it's 'to do' lists, and still feel like I have time to enjoy the day and it's treasures.

I update my diary, write a fortnightly meal plan, throw the junk mail in the bin before it gets past the front door, fold my washing before the end of each day, give myself a day off a week...

Order is good (ask my husband!) and even though it's difficult and doesn't come naturally, it is possible for anyone. Once the routines are established and I give myself some grace, there is a chance to breath.


Those dreams that disturb us at the wrong times when we allow ourselves to think back to those times when we were moved deeply, cried at the injustice of something, or were young and dreamed and planned our life ahead....they are worth reclaiming, re-assessing...
It's a tragedy when the simple life starts to fade as busyness takes the drivers seat, and you take off down the fast lane. Dreams hold on for life then become almost invisible as the years go on and we start to lose belief in ourselves and the path we had once seen clearly.

The simple life will give you room to move again. Time to reflect, pray, awaken what has lain dormant.

Dream.


The thing is, we all only get one life....

...so enjoy the journey each day brings (even if it's just one solitary moment of light when we're in the depths of the valley), and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

So simple to write, not as simple to do. But I'm going to try.



1 comment: