Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Gift Giver




"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above & comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." James 1:1

This has always been a favourite of mine, this verse tucked away in the book of 'tell it how it is'...I love the directness of James & the common sense so unashamedly daring us to take Him at His Word. It is what it is.

'Every' is derived from everything. It means all, inclusive, without exception. So when we read 'every good & perfect gift' I suppose thats exactly what it means.

We are created in His image, which probably explains why we love to give gifts. We give them to our children, our loved ones, our family & friends, our colleagues...whenever there is an opportunity to outstretch our hand with a gift - tangible or not - we give with a heart that wants to bless. We give to show our love.

I remember so many times the anticipation of seeing my childrens faces light up when they open up a long awaited gift....the reward is seeing their joy & their delight. They don't have to do more than receive & enjoy what was handpicked just for them. Photos are taken & memories made. Everyone is blessed.

God is the ultimate Gift Giver. He is the Father of light. He is the One who delights in seeing us open His hand picked gifts for us. Those moments in life that you just can't orchestrate on your own - the ones that take your breath away....I believe He shares them with us & delights in those moments. He cheers when we achieve that dream & stand on our high hills. When that bridge is finally crossed & peace becomes a reality. When those situations are addressed & relationships restored. When breakthrough comes in our finances....He is there...cheering us on... smiling. :)

Our children are our gifts. Mine all know they are our 'presents from God'....our greatest gifts from heaven. It makes them feel valuable knowing they have been handpicked & 'chosen' for us. Our family unit was framed & planned in God's heart. It makes the value of family even more priceless....

'no variation or shadow of turning...'

I love the stability & consistency of our Father of lights. What a beautiful description - our path should be in line with His - consistent; straight; dependable; a destination.... There is not even a shadow of His turning away from the spoken word and promises that were given as gifts to us all those centuries ago.

I love that my moral code is set in stone..on the parchments of old. That I can say without doubt that my God has my best interests at heart; my childrens; and my children's children...

His gifts are greater than any other. Each one personalized in line with the deepest desires of our hearts and the plans laid out for us.

What was one of your gifts today? For me it was the joy (for many this wouldn't be a joy..) of digging in the earth - transplanting heaps of ferns & plants from around the yard into my 'secret garden' that used to be a weed pit. It's not finished - but I loved seeing new life & beauty in my part of the world. Very satisfying. :)

I wonder what our Father's gifts were today? Most likely seeing us delight in our gifts - knowing we are thankful & aware of where they came from...

The gift giver.

"Every desirable & beneficial gift comes out of heaven. The gifts are rivers of light cascading down from the Father of Light.....He bought us to life using the true Word, showing us off as the crown of all his creatures."
TMB

No comments:

Post a Comment