Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Interruptions


Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colours. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.
James 1:2 TMB

My life is filled with interruptions.

In the frequent occasions that I sleep in (7.00am), my morning “what to do when I wake up” plans are constantly interrupted by three little boys squabbling over who gets to open the honey jar, who gets the first weetbix, and who gets the middle seat. There is usually a teenager hunting the house for a lost sock, and another still happily snoring in his bed (he needs to be interrupted!)

My devotional and bible are usually the first items I see when I finally open my eyes, but the minute it takes to sit quietly and start my day the way I know works best seems totally impossible when so much is happening that calls out for my attention. The distractions seem overwhelming and often it isn’t until I get home again and the morning commotion has died down that I finally take a minute out of my day, sometimes a few more, for some quality time (at last) with God.

Some days don’t go to plan at all. Or so it seems. I have my own agenda and plan, boxes to tick, people to call and errands to run. However, there are interruptions that seem to throw everything into disorder. I’ll bump into someone who I can tell has had a more challenging morning than me. She needs a hug and some encouragement. Or the school calls to say I have a child in sickbay. There goes an afternoon! Not to mention those wonderful dusk to dawn interruptions….

Then there’s the not-so-obvious, like someone I can’t get out of my mind. I know she needs a phone call, or some prayer, but do I have time today? I bump into someone at the shops who informs me her marriage is falling apart. I would love to be there for her if I wasn’t in such a rush… Someone sends me a text and asks for prayer. Yes, I reply immediately, I’ll pray. Well I intend to pray. I’ll put it on tomorrow’s to do list.

Am I the only one that gets interruptions like this? I used to think if I was just more organised I would be able to redirect the bulk of my interruptions, or learn how to avoid them properly… I envy all of you who are naturally organised. You are blessed!

But it was so freeing when my amazingly wise husband pointed out to me one day that Jesus’ life was filled with interruptions. His ministry was performed during those interruptions. He was on the way to a town when someone sick interrupted him wanting to be healed, or asked a question about eternity…
(Mark 10:17)

That was the best news I had heard for ages. Yay, I’m just like Jesus!! Well almost.

Jesus also slowed down (whoops!). He took time to wait on God. He followed a schedule, but not the way the world expected Him to, he had a higher calling and He knew why he was on the earth. He knew what was important and what was not. The multitudes were begging for Him to spend more time with Him, but instead he chose to spend time with his Father in the mountains. Then he was able to cope with interruptions without falling apart.

We were created in His image, and we are to follow in his footsteps, so we should aim to find that secret place (even in the midst of chaos) where we can hear His voice and do what we are meant to be doing each day. How wonderful to let our Yes’s be Yes and our No’s be No.

So the interruptions will happen, but often they are part of God’s plan for our day. We may have to change gears and head in a different direction for a little while. That’s ok. Just ask God what He wants you to do. Or if you are just treading water and it is taking all your energy just to survive the day, that’s ok. That’s what His grace is for.

“Come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest
.”

No comments:

Post a Comment