Monday, December 7, 2009

why salt?


Food without flavour is bland, boring and tasteless.

The same goes with life.

It's been a probing thought over the years that life without zest, reality & truth is a parallel to chicken chop suey without the soy or a hot dog without the sauce. It just goes with the main thing. Our main thing is life, and salt is the essence of it. It is the meaning of things. It is why we are here.

These are thoughts I would think as I lay awake for hours upon hours when I was in the prime of my youth & had hours to spare. I would think about life & its meanings. I would question the heavens for a glimpse of eternity and the origins of who I am.

Years upon years soon chip away at the meaningful questions about life & its seasons. Too soon the responsibilities of becoming an adult and being mature create a fast paced illusion, and hours of thoughts and questions are too soon shoved aside for a banquet of commodities and material dreams.

The spice of life becomes bland, yet we feast on the day with hunger that is never satisfied.

What we need is salt in its truest form. We need truth, like pure water and air.

So salt is my theme. It is raw, pure and adds true flavour. Once it is added it can't be taken out. It makes a difference. It lasts. It is real.

I hope that what I write has a similar effect. I hope that the questions of my youth return as I search my soul for reality and those things that really mean something.

I hope it is an experience. Like eating buttered, salty popcorn...

"Bread that this house may never know hunger, salt that life may always have flavor. "
~It's A Wonderful Life,(movie)1946

2 comments:

  1. Jen, I love you!!!! I really feel like hugging you after reading your entire site....This is a very special Inspiration I have shared with one other very special woman in my life who has inspired me on so many levels. Your heart matches hers,so I want to share this with you.
    "How do I love God? By doing beautifully the work I have been given to do, by doing simply that which God entrusted to me, in whatever form it may take." Mother Teresa... This is your work, your blessing, and your gifting, this is the work He has entrusted in you to do. And you do it SO beautifully...You inspire me beyond all measure. I love you dearly my friend. Mwah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha mum you're so funny. all these years saying that you're going to do something like this and finally you have.
    i love the way you write. its so beautiful, deep and meaningful. i'm so happy to share it all with you. love you heaps.. keep writing for me. you're brilliant.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete